Home ] Dalehead Farms & Houses ] Contact Us ] Gisburn Forest ] Further Reading / Links ] Site Map ] Stocks in Bowland ] [ Stocks Reservoir Construction ]

Stocks Reservoir Construction

Planning & Surveys ] Road Diversion ] Preparatory Works ] The Overflow Conduits ] The Main Trench ] Temporary Water Intake ] Temporary Railways ] Other Works ] The Valve Tower ] The Culvert ] Staff ] Hollins Village ] Hollins Village 2 ] Jumbles Quarry ] The Dam Embankment ] Stocks Reservoir Construction ] The Filter House ] The Filter House 2 ] Stocks Reservoir ] Light Railway Locomotives ] St. James' Church ] The Reservoir Opening ] The Reservoir Opening 2 ] Stocks Drought Years ] Gallery ] Wildlife ]

Building the Dam Embankment - April 1927

Building the Dam Embankment 1/4/1927

Photograph used by kind permission of Lancashire Library Service - Clitheroe

Many of the photographs are taken from, and much of the text of the following pages regarding the construction of Stocks Reservoir, is based on the "Souvenir of the Inauguration of the Hodder Supply by H.R.H. The Prince George, K.G. on July 5th 1932".

This hard-back commemorative booklet produced by the Fylde Water Board was presented to the Chief Cashier at Stocks Reservoir; Mr. John Heap, who then gave it to the late Mr. John Walmsley of Waddington. The booklet was kindly lent for use on this website by his son Mr. Ian Walmsley. Other soft-back copies of the booklet were produced and appear to have been given to "less senior" guests at the opening of the reservoir.

Home ] Planning & Surveys ] Road Diversion ] Preparatory Works ] The Overflow Conduits ] The Main Trench ] Temporary Water Intake ] Temporary Railways ] Other Works ] The Valve Tower ] The Culvert ] Staff ] Hollins Village ] Hollins Village 2 ] Jumbles Quarry ] The Dam Embankment ] Stocks Reservoir Construction ] The Filter House ] The Filter House 2 ] Stocks Reservoir ] Light Railway Locomotives ] St. James' Church ] The Reservoir Opening ] The Reservoir Opening 2 ] Stocks Drought Years ] Gallery ] Wildlife ]